ART FEATURE FRIDAYS (21-30)
#artfeaturefridays at instagram.com/andyboreholart
In order of appearance:
21. Lucian Freud. Specifically, those works of the mid-to-late 1950s; before the hogs hair brushes, the cremnitz white, the larger and looser canvases.
22. Olya Leontieva. An interesting piece from this Moscow-based painter and illustrator. Olyaleontieva.com and olyaleontievaillustration.tumblr.com for more.
23. Thomas Bates. Clean lines, black-heavy. Tattoos out of the UK. instagram.com/thomasbatestattoo and thomasbatesart.tumblr.com.
24. Yiran Liu. Lots going on here with this artist. Yiran-liu.tumblr.com for more paintings and also very good drawings.
25. Linsey Levendall. Supreme work ethic and able to jump style-to-style creating work which is at once both baroque and essential. instagram.com/linsey_levendall for daily updates of sketches, paintings and illustration.
26. Jordan Danchilla. A portrait by this artist working from Saskatoon. Paintings and etchings available inexpensively through voidgallery.ca/jordandanchilla
27. Tugboat Printshop. Collaborative printshop of Paul Roden and Valerie Lueth. Really excellent work here—I’ve ordered prints from them before and can’t recommend the quality enough. Website is tugboatprintshop.com, with catalogue, store, and a breakdown of their process. If you’re at all interested in contemporary block-printing, don’t pass checking this pair out.
28. Nicholas Di Genova. 8 years ago, instagram.com/alexrobleto dropped me a copy of the April06 edition of instagram.com/ionmagazine with a bookmark stuck in halfway and said, ‘check this guy out, you both do the characters with a lot of detail.’ Pages 20/21 were a short article by Jen Selk with Nicholas Di Genova, and Alex was right—lots of detail, and the works at that time of ink and paint on animation cel was a technical approach I’d been looking for, and hadn’t been seeing anywhere else. Thanks for the early inspiration instagram.com/nicholasdigenova.
29. HJ Jackson. 60+ years of linocuts printed with a tobacco tin. Http://www.birchamgallery.co.uk/catalogue/artist/H.J.:Jackson/ for more.
30. Jan Dingle. Another printmaker from the Bircham Gallery stable. Many works available for £40. Http://www.birchamgallery.co.uk/catalogue/artist/Jan:Dingle/
Updates, as usual, every Friday at 7.30AM EST.
[Notation in the future will be adjusted to reflect the error of Freud and Leontieva being double-listed as No. 21 on instagram.]